Reiki, a Japanese complimentary medicine therapy, can be called “the most misunderstood and misused therapy of the last one hundred years”. Its bad luck started with the introduction to the West at the worst possible time. The war between the USA and Japan was inevitable. Everything remotely Japanese was rejected with revulsion. Very few people knew about Chakras, Yoga, Tai Chi, Chi Gong, Ayurveda, Martial Arts or Feng Shui – all these systems and practices that are based on the understanding of the circulation of energy or Chi within the human body.
To make Reiki more acceptable, the ancient teaching of Chi was slightly modified to fit the Western mentality and in the process many important points were missed. To make the situation even worse Reiki was banned in its native Japan along with Acupuncture and other Eastern healing traditions during the American's occupation in 1945.
With its roots cut, Reiki led an odd life and was used for many things that it was not intended.
Let’s clarify some history: Reiki was discovered by the person who practiced Chi Gong, an ancient Chinese tradition of bringing Chi energy into harmony in order to help body to heal itself. Reiki is the next step in a long tradition of energy balancing, not a completely new discovery. Now everything falls into place and we can explain what it is and what it is not:
- Reiki CAN balance Chi in human body – yes, Chi energy exists and can be measured by AcuGraph ;
- Reiki IS NOT a religion;
- Reiki CAN balance Chakras, Marma points and Meridians – those who claim that the human body produces no energy field might also stop using the EKG; in 1929 the Nobel Prize was awarded to W. Einthoven for the discovery of heart’s electricity and as we know electricity produces an energy field;
- Reiki CANNOT make you fly or become rich;
- Reiki CAN help with pain management – 15% of American hospitals use Reiki;
- YouTube or any other video CANNOT attune you to Reiki or heal – the frequencies of the recordings are different from Chi frequencies or any other healing frequencies;
- Reiki CAN help to increase your energy level – some experiments shows that the level of hemoglobin increases after Reiki attunement;
- Reiki Master level CANNOT be achieved by a novice with just a weekend class – there are three levels of Training: it takes at least ten hours class and four attunements to achieve level 1; then at least a month to learn the energy and develop skills at the first level; then another ten hours and two attunements to learn level 2; it takes even more time to master level 2; and another class to get to the master level and endless hours of practice and teaching to become a Reiki Master;
Reiki, as a no cost technique, can be used along with Ayurveda in less developed countries.
What we need now is more research.